Personalized SCI Care
The MossRehab Spinal Cord Injury Program holds as much promise
for successful rehabilitation as any in the nation. Counseling sessions take into account
the patient’s diagnosis through evaluation, personal habits, stage of life, family support
and schedule of availability. Treatments are designed with each patient’s
case — and life — in mind.
A patient's spinal cord injury treatment may require individual therapy sessions for more intensive
training to reach specific rehabilitation goals, such as physical therapy for
walking. These sessions help patients reach their ultimate level of
functioning and their greatest degree of independence.
The more socialized atmosphere of group therapy has been found to be a key factor later in accelerating the recovery process. It allows those with similar rehabilitation goals to work together and share experiences. Newer patients can also receive support and inspiration from the more experienced participants.
Request an Appointment
Treatment & Therapies Offered
Inpatient care at MossRehab is reserved for those patients with the
utmost rehabilitation and treatment needs. It features around-the-clock medical and
nursing attention and is under the direction of physiatrists who are
board certified in physical medicine and rehabilitation and in spinal
cord injury medicine. Inpatient care is designed to help all patients
reach their maximum ability to function, and the specialized treatments they
receive brings aspects of independent living within reach.
The Day Hospital and Day Therapy Programs are specially designed options for those patients who need intensive treatment, but don’t require around-the-clock attention. In addition, these options can often provide a cost-effective bridge between the inpatient and outpatient care programs..
Outpatient care is available at MossRehab Outpatient Centers for patients who have made some advancement in their rehabilitation goals. The centers throughout Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties are located in several convenient locations, and some are under the direction of a physiatrist — a physician who specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation. In the outpatient centers, a patient can learn new skills or refine existing ones needed for living an independent and productive life.
Choosing the right rehabilitation center may be one of the most important decisions you ever make. Learn more about the best in the region. Schedule a tour or make an appointment by calling 1-800-CALL MOSS or using our Contact Us form.
MossRehab also offers specialized treatments, evaluations, and types of counseling that can facilitate occupational therapy for spinal cord injury patients, helping them overcome a specific clinical challenge or to re-learn a familiar skill.
- Neuropsychological and vocational evaluation and counseling is often necessary to help a patient fully understand the new challenges that the injured spinal cord creates. Most patients who would like to return to work or school require this service and benefit greatly from it.
- Cognitive rehabilitation is for patients who may have also sustained a traumatic brain injury at the time a spinal cord injury occurred. When appropriate, this component of the program is vital for successful spinal cord injury rehabilitation. This treatment is available for memory, cognition planning and reading and is tailored to the needs of the patient.
- Sexuality counseling is for those patients whose sexual functioning is affected by their spinal cord injury. Counseling is available for the patient and the partner to help them both adjust to the changes brought on by the disability.
- Intrathecal baclofen therapy is an advanced technique designed to help patients with severe spasticity or pain. This therapy aims to relax muscles and relieves the spasms and cramping that is often caused by spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis, transverse myelitis, cerebral palsy, stroke and traumatic brain injury. MossRehab is one of the most experienced providers of this advanced therapy in the Delaware Valley.
- Orthotic and prosthetic services offer individually crafted aids for patients who need assistance when walking or moving, including spine support. Our certified staff of orthotists create these specialized devices, perform the initial fittings and make any adjustments required for comfort and effectiveness.
- Adaptive Designs for Living is a service that uses environmental and ergonomic adaptations to promote increased freedom for the patient at home, work or in the community. Trained professionals from MossRehab visit the patient's home and workplace to recommend modifications that make a difference. For example, ramps can be added to allow easier access to common areas for patients in wheelchairs. Doorknob attachments can make doors easier to open and close. And light switches can be made more accessible by adjusting them to a reachable height.
- MossRehab Driving Program is an approved occupational therapy program offered by the states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware and is operated by certified driving instructors. The instructors work with individuals with spinal cord injuries to recommend any changes in vehicle operation that may be required, such as hand levers instead of foot pedals. They also conduct driving evaluations and provide on-road driver training to make driving a car again possible and comfortable for suitable patients.