A Lifetime of Care and Amputation Treatment
The loss of a limb can be a traumatic experience, affecting an individual both emotionally and physically. MossRehab’s team of experienced specialists and renowned treatment programs can ease the transition to a new way of living, and provide support at every step. We address patient needs spanning from amputation rehabilitation and pre prosthetic care to amputation physical therapy and occupational therapy prosthetic training. Our amputee physical therapy clinics are conveniently located in the greater Philadelphia area.
Whether you arrive at MossRehab for the inpatient or outpatient amputee rehabilitation program, with an upper or lower extremity or multi-limb amputation, our treatment team works together with patients, their families and referring physicians to maximize recovery. Each team member has specialized training and knowledge in amputation rehabilitation and prosthetics. We utilize a multi-step approach that includes preparation for using a prosthesis, physical and occupational training with the prosthesis and access to lifetime follow-up.
Request an Appointment
Pre-prosthetic Training (Inpatient or Outpatient)
The best results occur when we start therapy before the prosthetic limb is fitted. That can include the period leading up to amputation. Pre-prosthetic physical therapy focuses on preventing complications post-surgery and strengthening and preparing the patient for a prosthesis while the limb is healing.
Physical and Occupational Therapy Prosthetic training (inpatient, outpatient, or day hospital)
Once a patient is fitted for a prosthesis, treatment focuses on training for its use with specialized physical therapy to- regain optimal mobility, increase endurance, and maximize comfort and function. We have extensive understanding and resources to address pain and the relearning of daily living skills through our occupational therapy designed for amputees.
Our amputation therapy team believes a combination of individual and group therapy sessions is most successful in the rehabilitation of our patients. Individual therapy allows patients to work one-on-one with our therapists to focus on specific personalized needs and goals, such as walking or arm function. Group therapy allows patients with similar issues to work with our clinical staff and each other, a practice which is instrumental in providing support and inspiration throughout the rehabilitation process.
Community and Vocational Re-entry Therapy for Amputees
At MossRehab, we know that there’s more to rehabilitation than the ability to simply function. We have an extensive community and vocational re-entry program that individualizes occupational therapy prosthetic training, focusing on important skills to help patients get back to work or play.
Our commitment to our patients extends throughout the remainder of their lives. Patients maintain an ongoing relationship with their rehabilitation physician who can assist with obtaining future prosthetics as well as address and prevent future complications related to prosthetic use.
Pain management and psychological counseling services are also available on an ongoing basis.
MossRehab offers an extensive number of targeted services including specialized physical therapy and occupational therapy designed to help people with amputation overcome a specific clinical challenge, re-learn a specific skill or build upon their current abilities. At whatever point a patient is in the rehabilitation process, we have the team, tools and technology to help. Below are just a few of the services available:
- The Sheerr Gait and Motion Analysis Laboratory helps physicians identify the causes of walking problems in patients using prostheses. Computerized diagnostic equipment helps physicians provide recommendations for appropriate prostheses, as well as optimal fit and alignment. The results from the laboratory are sent to the referring physician and are then integrated into a patient’s amputation physical therapy or other amputee treatment. MossRehab is the only rehabilitation provider in the Philadelphia region to have this specialized laboratory.
- The MossRehab Driving School a state-licensed program approved by Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware, is a prime example of how occupational therapy can help those with prosthetics regain normalcy. Driving instructors certified by the Association for Driver Rehabilitation Specialists work with individuals to assess functional ability and reaction time and recommend any changes in vehicle operation that may be required, such as hand levers instead of foot pedals. They also conduct driving evaluations and provide on-road driver training to make driving possible and comfortable for qualified persons.
- The Amputation Abilities Group is a monthly support group for, and run by, people with amputation and their families at our MossRehab Elkin’s Park, PA location. The goal is to provide peer support, education and advocacy for people with limb loss. Topics range from travel to nutrition, adaptive devices, hobbies and more.
- The Peer Visitor Program through the Amputation Coalition of America offers certified peer visitors to help people with new amputation transition to living with their new condition. They share their own experiences and offer helpful insight and tips for recovery.
- Prosthetic and Orthotic Services. We have a close relationship with certified prosthetists and orthotists who work within the hospital and are available daily for needed adjustments. We recognize that choosing a prosthetic vendor is an important and personal decision. Our treatment team works with all prosthetic providers, and will work to communicate and interact with your prosthetist to ensure a cohesive treatment approach.
Choosing therapy for amputees may be one of the most important decisions you ever make. Learn more about the best in the region. Schedule a tour or make an appointment by calling 1-800-CALL MOSS or using our Contact Us form.