MossRehab Spinal Cord Program
Comprehensive spinal cord care at the region's only top 10 U.S. rehabilitation hospital.
At MossRehab, improving function and quality of life for individuals with disabilities is what drives all of us, every day. We not only rehabilitate bodies, we also repair spirits.
MossRehab offers a personalized and comprehensive approach to spinal cord injury rehabilitation through our system of inpatient, outpatient, day hospital, day therapy and life-time follow up programs. We treat patients at various levels and severity of spinal cord injury as the result of both traumatic and non-traumatic spinal cord dysfunction. Our exceptional model of care has been refined and developed during the past 60 years by MossRehab's distinguished physical medicine and rehabilitation physicians, many of whom are board-certified specialists in spinal cord injury.
Schedule a tour or make an appointment by calling 1-800-CALL MOSS or using our Contact Us form.
Medical, nursing and therapy treatment plans are individualized and use patient-focused strategies for all activities of daily living, improved mobility and use of adaptive equipment helping to make patient’s homes and workplaces more accessible and providing vocational counseling that enables them to return to work or school, or embark on a new career.
Our Weekly Support Group and Peer Mentoring Program offered during both inpatient and outpatient programming will help individuals cope with the various forms of stress that can often result from living with a spinal cord injury.
Why Choose the MossRehab Spinal Cord Injury Program?
- Home Quicker: On average, MossRehab spinal cord injury patients show more functional improvement and are discharged home more quickly than other area rehab providers both locally and nationally. (See full list of outcomes.)
- Unrivaled Care: MossRehab is repeatedly ranked by U.S. News & World Report as the number one rehabilitation hospital in the Philadelphia region and among the top 10 in the country in its annual list of America's Best Hospitals.
- Comprehensive: From our renowned inpatient programs to our outpatient centers, Day Therapy Program, Community Re-Entry Program, School Re-Entry Program, Vocational Directions Program, we are with you every step of your way toward increased independence.
- Accredited: We have more accreditations from the Commission for Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) than any other rehab provider on U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospitals” list. (See complete list) We have earned CARF accreditation for our inpatient and outpatient spinal cord injury programs for both adults and children.
- Team-Based Approach: Our physicians; speech pathologists; rehabilitation nurses; physical, occupational and recreational therapists; social workers and psychologists - all specializing in rehabilitation - work together to ensure coordination of care throughout treatment. We also believe that family plays an essential role, and invite cooperation at every phase of treatment.
- Informed by Research: The renowned Moss Rehabilitation Research Institute conducts advanced research that translates to innovations in care.
- Among the Latest Technology: From the G-EO System Evolution therapeutic exercise machine to the Lokomat treadmill therapy to the ReWalk robotic exoskeleton, MossRehab is leading the way with the treatments and therapies of the future.
Location and Hours
60 Township Line Road
Elkins Park, PA 19027
Hours: While rehabilitation occurs throughout the day, therapy services are generally provided between 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. seven days a week, 365 days a year.
At MossRehab, services for people with spinal cord injuries are provided in a variety of settings, depending on the severity of the injury and stage of recovery. Programs are individualized for each person–with the goal of helping people achieve the best possible quality of life.
- Inpatient care. Patients who need comprehensive care benefit from a full range of services available in our technically advanced, yet friendly inpatient unit at MossRehab in Elkins Park.
- Subacute care. This is an alternative for patients who need skilled nursing care and a less-intensive level of rehabilitation therapy.
- Day hospital. Individuals who no longer need 24-hour nursing care, yet can benefit from intensive rehabilitation therapy, can choose the day hospital at MossRehab. Full-day sessions allow people to return to their homes on evenings and weekends. Transportation is available.
- Day program. Our day program participants receive 2.5 to 3 hours of therapy a day, three to five days a week.
- Outpatient care. Comprehensive outpatient therapy is available at all of MossRehab Outpatient Centers located throughout the Philadelphia region.
- Individual and group therapy. Patients have the opportunity to work one-on-one or in groups. Individual therapy may take place in the indoor pool or therapy suite. And since peer support is so important to patients with spinal cord injury, group therapy is available to help individuals work together on common goals and to support and encourage each other. The inpatient peer group meets weekly.
- Diagnostic labs . People with spinal cord injuries benefit from MossRehab's advanced diagnostic labs, including Gait and Motion Analysis Lab , Electrodiagnostic Center and Motor Control Analysis Lab.
- Lifetime Follow-up Clinic. After discharge, our outpatient team sees patients on a regular basis, usually at six weeks, six months and then annual intervals. The Lifetime Follow-up Clinic's goals are to identify medical problems early to avoid complications and re-hospitalization. The Clinic is available at MossRehab in Elkins Park and on Tabor Road. In addition, patients have 24-hour phone access to professional staff. Patients and family can also receive additional emotional support to help them cope with the stress that comes from spinal cord injuries by participating in a monthly peer support group meetings held at MossRehab. Individual counseling is also available.
- Neuro-orthopedic Program. Our Specialists work together to bring the latest advances in diagnosis and treatment to patients whose upper or lower extremities are impaired by brain injury, stroke, anoxia, central nervous system disorders orthopedic conditions and spinal cord injury.
MossRehab also offers specialized services that can help patients overcome a specific clinical challenge or can help them re-learn a familiar skill.
- Neuropsychological and vocational evaluation and counseling is often necessary to help a patient fully understand the new challenges that the injured spinal cord creates. Most patients who would like to return to work or school require this service and benefit greatly from it.
- Cognitive rehabiliation is for patients who may have also sustained a traumatic brain injury at the time a spinal cord injury occurred. When appropriate, this component of the program is vital for successful spinal cord injury rehabilitation. This treatment is available for memory, cognition planning and reading and is tailored to the needs of the patient.
- Sexuality counseling is for those patients whose sexual functioning is affected by their spinal cord injury. Counseling is available for the patient and the partner to help them both adjust to the changes brought on by the disability.
- Intrathecal baclofen therapy is an advanced technique designed to help patients with sever spasticity or pain. This therapy aims to relax muscles and relieves the spasms and cramping that is often caused by spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis, transverse myelitis, cerebral palsy, stroke and traumatic brain injury. MossRehab is one of the most experienced providers of this advanced therapy in the Delaware Valley.
- Orthotic and prosthetic services offer individually crafted aids for patients who need assistance when walking or moving, including spine support. Our cerified staff of orthotists create these specialized devices, perform the initial fittings and make any adjustments required for comfort and effectiveness.
- Adaptive Designs for Living is a sevice that uses environmental and ergonomic adaptations to promote increased freedom for the patient at home, work or in the community. Trained professionals from MossRehab visit the patient's home and workplace to recommend modifications that make a difference. For example, ramps can be added to allow easier access to common areas for patients in wheelchairs. Doorknob attachments can make doors easier to open and close. And light switches can be made more accessible by adjusting them to a reachable height.
- MossRehab Driving Program is an approved program by the states of Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Delaware and is operated by certified driving instructors. The instructors work with individuals with spinal cord injuries to recommend any changes in vehicle operation that may be required, such as hand levers instead of foot pedals. They also conduct driving evaluations and provide on-road driver training to make driving a car again possible and comfortable for suitable patients.
Choosing the right rehabilitation center may be one of the most important decisions you ever make. Learn more about the best in the region. Schedule a tour or make an appointment by calling 1-800-CALL MOSS or using our Contact Us form.